In the previous post The Obstacle That Will Kill Your Ideal Life we looked at how we are getting in our own way of having our ideal life, work and freedom on our own terms.
It raises a really important question:
Why are so many people chasing having “stuff & things” at the cost of having real freedom in their work and life?
Well, the reasons can be many and complex. But here is one of the huge contributing reasons:
Lack of Financial Intelligence
Now, I am not for one second suggesting people are a bunch of dunces in relation to money. What I am saying is that most of us have never been educated to give us the financial intelligence we need to make good choices and decisions that lead to real financial freedom.
And here’s the shame of it – if we were educated and armed with enough financial intelligence to create real and lasting financial freedom we would probably make very different choices and decisions throughout our life to the ones we make.
I say this, not just from professional experience, but also from personal experience. Years ago, my husband and I used to be “stuff and things” chasers. It had us chained the Corporate hamster wheel for many years with no chance of escape. Once we started to educate ourselves on money freedom we made better choices that enabled us to escape corporate life and start a new life on our own terms.
Once we realised that to be really free, in our work life and personal life, we needed to be a bit more intelligent with choices and decisions around money, we started to look at how we could increase our financial intelligence.
If you are really serious about creating your ideal work life, personal life, increase your freedom of choices and have more financial security, I highly recommend you make a commitment to yourself right now to transform your level of financial intelligence and get a plan in place to start making this a priority.
Questions on your Money Mindset to consider:
- Are you on a clearly defined path to financial freedom that will allow you to operate your work and life on your own terms?
- If you were at a point of financial security and freedom, what difference would that make to the choices you make in your work and life? Is that worth shooting for?
- What can you start to do improve your financial intelligence and mindset around money? When will you do that?
I know from personal experience, it can feel really overwhelming when you decide to get on a path to financial freedom but don’t know how to start. But here are some simple things you can start straight away while you are building up your financial intelligence:
- Be come less consumer focussed and more freedom focussed.
- Start learning how to manage your money better.
- Start living well within your means.
- Don’t do consumer debt (oh the freedom when you stop becoming a slave to this!!)
Whatever you do, don’t do nothing. Just get started. Think baby steps. Take action.
Related post: The Obstacle That Will Kill Your Ideal Life