In early March 2013 me, my husband and our son moved from Ireland to Vancouver, Canada to live (we had lived in Ireland for seven years having moved there from our home country, England, in 2006).
It is a change we had been working on making happen for quite some time as part of our design life plans.
Achieving such a big goal and dream has been exciting, deeply fulfilling and a hell of an adventure.
But the path to making change happen hasn’t always been easy. We have had to navigate all sorts of challenges.
Challenges like dealing with serious long term health issues and a horrific car crash that my husband was lucky to survive (you can read more on that in Lessons From A Wake Up Call).
And there are all sorts of practical and emotional challenges that come with creating change too – they all have to be dealt with. Being willing to deal with the challenges of creating change is an important part of achieving the results you really want to make happen.
My husband and I were chatting recently about the valuable lessons that we have learnt over the years that have helped us create the changes we have wanted in our life, work, business and relationships. Here are:
15 Important Lessons For Creating Lasting Change
1. Keep a sense of humour.
2. Expect obstacles, setbacks and mistakes. They happen. Learn the lesson. Apply the learning. Move on.
3. Have a plan with deadlines but be flexible and open to the plan needing to be altered.
4. Change doesn’t always follow a linear path. Accept that.
5. Create reserves of everything – time, money, energy, support etc. You will need them and they make the journey smoother.
6. It takes a lot of mental and physical energy to create change so having a self care programme that keeps you mentally and physically fit and strong is a no brainer.
7. Surround yourself with positive, supportive people who encourage and inspire you.
8. Steer clear of the BMWs (Bitchers, moaners, whiners) and negative, unconstructive people.
9. Foster the habit of persistence. When the going gets tough, it is persistence that will get you through.
10. Change takes you out of your comfort zone so get comfortable with feeling uncomfortable. (Read more on this topic in Why You Must Get Comfortable Feeling Uncomfortable).
11. Create a haven – something that helps you step out of all the hoopla for a while and regroup.
12. Break plans down into small steps and then just focus on the next small step. This keeps feelings of overwhelm at bay and helps keep momentum and motivation going strong.
13. Don’t become all work and no play. Take time out. Life happens in the present, not the future.
14. Seek out people who have made the changes you want to make and learn from them.
15. Hold the faith. Hold your vision. When the going gets tough keep focussed on the positive outcome you will achieve once you have navigated your journey of change.
The pain of navigating the change process is temporary. The pain of staying stuck is permanent. So don’t let the challenges of creating change put you off.
What valuable lessons have you learnt about creating change? What would you add to this list? Please share in the comments below.