You are way more likely to achieve the results you most want in your life and work if you focus on preparing specific factors that will set you up to succeed.
“Before anything else, preparation is the key to success.” – Alexander Graham Bell
To help you with this, work through these 12 questions. They will support you in putting in strong foundations that will help you to achieve your goals.
12 questions to help you prepare to achieve your goals successfully.
1. Exactly what do you want to achieve, and when do you want to achieve it by? What action will you take to make that happen?
Clarity is king! It will help you create better action plans and better action plans lead to better results. Get specific!
2. What do you need to start doing more of?
Doing more of what sets you up succeed will help you achieve your goals faster and more effectively.
3. What do you need to start doing less of?
Doing less of what doesn’t serve you will boost your progress significantly.
4. What things aren’t working well for you? How will you approach those things differently to deal with them?
If something isn’t working for you, why are you still doing it? Tweak it. Change it. Adapt it. Ditch it. Carrying on doing what isn’t work well will continue to hold you back.
5. What is working well for you? How can you build on that moving forward?
As the saying goes, “success leaves clues.” Use them to inform your decisions, choices and actions as you move forward.
6. What do you need to learn to be able to achieve your goals? When and how will you do that?
People often charge into their goals without working out what they need to learn to achieve them. This is a recipe for failure. Be a life long learner. It will make a big difference to your results.
7. What support and resources do you need to achieve your goals? What action will you take to put that in place?
If you think you can do it all alone you are in for a bumpy, slow and difficult ride. We all need support. Whether it be hiring an expert of some kind, having an accountability buddy to keep you on track, morale support etc. Ignoring this is a mistake.
8. What habits do you have that need to change so that they don’t sabotage or get in the way of the results you most want to achieve?
Awareness is the first step in creating change. Get clear on what habits you need to change.
9. What new habits do you need to create that would support you in achieving your goals and getting better results?
Habits are king when it comes to getting better results consistently. Making this a priority will bring you many benefits on many different levels.
10. What boundaries do you need to put in place, for yourself and others, to protect what is most important?
Strong boundaries protect what is most important. They are not optional. They are essential to your success.
11. What setbacks, obstacles or challenges might come up as you move forward? How will you proactively deal with that?
Contingency plans are your safety net! Knowing what you will do if the brown stuff hits the fan makes a big difference when setbacks, obstacles and challenges rear their ugly heads!
12. How do you want to feel? What changes do you need to make or action do you need to take to feel that way?
This is often overlooked. But fulfillment, meaning and purpose in life are as important as achievement. Make sure your goals and how you want to feel are aligned.
Use the answers that come up for you when you ask yourself these questions to create an action plan that will set you up to succeed with your goals.
“Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure.” – Confucius
I highly recommend that you ask yourself these questions at the start of every month. They will help keep you on track throughout the year.