The whole work life balance movement has been around for a fair amount of years. Yet there is still a significant amount of people who feel that they are struggling with juggling all the balls of life and the things they value most are suffering.
It seems to me that something with the whole work life balance thing isn’t working or surely after all these years we would have the situation nailed.
So it begs the question:
What is Going Wrong with Work Life Balance?
The problem is what we are focussing on – balancing work with life. The two aren’t separate things. There is only one thing – your life. Everything else is a label for an activity you are doing within your life. So what is going wrong is that we are focussing on the wrong things – balance, and seeing work as separate to our life. This focus is resulting in sacrificing what we value most and our ideal life.
The Curse of Work Life Balance
The curse that chasing work life balance creates is that it just gives you more of the same. Yes, you may see some tweaks if you chase work life balance, but make no mistake about it, you are still juggling.
Chasing work life balance doesn’t actually remove the problem. And the real problem is that you aren’t living the life you really want.
Chasing work life balance doesn’t lead to you living your ideal life on your own terms. The thing that leads to living the life you really want is designing it based on your values, your own definition of success and what is most important to you – not chasing balance.
Here is something to think about:
Do you really want to balance and juggle the things you value most with less important things that cost how you REALLY want things to be?
Do you want to live a life built on the things you value most with the less important things fitting in around them, protecting them and supporting them?
If it’s the first option, keep focussing on work life balance. If it’s the second option, then kick focussing on work life balance into touch. Instead, make a decision right now that you are going to design the life you really want, redefine your work and create lasting change.
Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Make sure you have a crystal clear picture of what your ideal life would look like. Define what constitutes a fulfilling, meaningful life for you including all aspects of your life as one.
- Is that worth fighting for? If so, start thinking “designing life” NOT balancing life.
- What would need to happen for your ideal to become a reality?
- Don’t wait, start now – even if you don’t know how you will make it all happen. Think baby steps.
- You can find more detailed tips and ideas in this 3 part mini series – Part 1 Why work-life balance is misleading. Part 2 The Alternative To Work-Life Balance Part 3 Goodbye work life balance! Hello success by design!
End the curse of work life balance for yourself. Eradicate mediocrity. Choose really living your ideal life on your terms. The freedom and fulfillment it gives is worth fighting for.
Do you have challenges with work life balance? What are your views on the whole work life balance movement?